MP Edward Timpson supported PE becoming a core subject in lieu of its connection to entrepreneurial skills. During the Prime Ministerial Questions (PMQs), he argued that supporting physical activity should become government policy, not government aspiration.
He made this comment as he confirmed his own support for the £600 million package over two years for PE and school sport. The full package is designed to support equal opportunities for PE and school sport both inside and outside of the classroom.
- Over £600 million across the next two academic years (2023-4 & 2024-5) for the PE and Sport Premium
- School delivery of a minimum of two hours of curriculum PE
- £22 million for a further two years of funding for the School Games Organiser network
- New stands to provide equal access to sports in school
- Up to £57 million in funding for the ‘Open Sports Facilities’ programme
- Expansion of the School Games Mark with an extra provision for girls
To find out more, see here.