ukactive has welcomed the release of Sport England’s Active Lives survey. The results show that activity levels amongst adults have now returned to pre-pandemic levels. There is strong evidence that pools, gyms and swimming pools have played a huge role in driving this recovery.
Huw Edwards, CEO of ukactive, added that whilst pre-pandemic levels of exercise were positive. He encouraged the government to empower the physical activity sector in the government’s upcoming Sports Strategy. He pointed out the following areas for growth:
- To tackle lower-income communities with lower levels of physical activity in comparison to wealthier communities
- To create a long-term strategy for supporting fitness and leisure facilities in addition to the £63m in funding
- To tackle the longer-term decline in participation levels despite pre-pandemic recovery for 16 to 34-year-olds
- To empower the physical activity sector to support the health of the nation and the national health service
- To support the sector through the energy crisis as sports facilities are energy-intensive
To find out more, see here.